A research on Cuban sociocultural, political and economical issues will be individually planned at the end of the term and conducted
before and during the unit trip. Readings, visioning of documentaries and check of references will help in this process. This investigation will have a major focus on local ways of living, different cultural customs and spatial characteristics where everyday life takes place.
Findings will be expressed in different analytical diagrams, video fragments, photographs and information maps that will be completed
after the unit trip and edited in a booklet. The major aim of this exercise is to define each block context and content.
Reference books for diagrams:
– David McCandless: Knowledge is Beautiful, London: William Collins, 2014.
– Steven Heller: Infographics Designers’ Sketchbooks, New York: Princeton Architectural Press , 2014.
– David McCandless: Information is beautiful
– Infographics: The Power of Visual Storytelling
– Cool Infographics: Effective Communication with Data Visualization and Design
– Robert. Polidori (Photos) Elizabeth Culbert; Eduardo Luis Rodríguez (Ed.): Havana, Göttingen : Steidl 2001
– Gianni Basso Vega, MG (Photos), Julio Cesar Perez Hernandez Angelika Taschen (ed): Inside Cuba, Koln : Taschen, 2006.
– Chip. Cooper Néstor Martí; et al: Old Havana : spirit of the living city, Tuscaloosa : University of Alabama Press, 2012.
– Michael Eastman: Havana, New Yor: Prestel, 2011.
– Roberto Segre: Havana, Grove Art Online: Oxford University Press 1996
– John Miller and Susannah Clark (Ed): Havana. Tales on the city, San Francisco : Chronicle Books 1996.
– Aviva Chomsky, Barry Carr and Pamela María Smorkaloff (Eds): The Cuba reader: history, culture, politics, Durham, N.C. ;
London : Duke University Press, 2004.
– Alfredo Jose Estrada: Havana: autobiography of a city, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
– Oscar Guardiola-Rivera: What if Latin America Ruled the World?, London: Bloomsbury, 2011.
– Guadalupe García: Beyond the walled city : colonial exclusion in Havana, Oakland, California : University of California Press 2016
Documentaries & Movies: Havana Documentary by Jasper Goldman (2017); Elena by Marcelo Martin (2014). I am Cuba by
Mikhail Kalatozov (1954), Buena Vista Social Club by Wim Wenders (1999), Suite Havana by Fernando Perez (2003), Havana
Blues by Benito Zambrano (2005), 7 days in Havana by Various directors (2012), Four Seasons in Havana by Leonardo Padura,
Lucía López Coll (2016), Yuli by Icíar Bollaín (2018) & The Wasp Network by Olivier Assayas (2019)